Sunday, October 31, 2010

My first scrapbooking class!

I don't know what came over me, but I suddenly decided that I needed to add something else to my plate.  After reading all about it, and debating which class to start with, I jumped into a class with Nic Howard, who is amazing, by the way, at Big Picture Classes (formerly known as Big Picture Scrapbooking).

The class is called Colour! Or is it Color? and is focused on color theory.  It is good for me because she will use a lot of new techniques, but in many ways I can still do the pages that I want to do as long as they follow the color scheme.

One thing that I love about this class is that there are participants from all over the world.  Literally.  It is mind-blowing.  It is truly an incredible experience to share something with so many in places I may never visit (although I hope to!).  I have already learned a lot about New Zealand (where Nic is from) and Australia (because there are a lot of participants from there).  Anyway, are you wondering what has kept me busy this weekend?  Take a look.

First, we were to complete a project with the color red.  The right hand side was given to us (minus the polka-dot paper).  I completed the left hand page.  Eventually we will have a 6x6 album with all of the colors.  I am considering adding them to a 12x12 spread, as I don't have a 6x6 album...but I will wait to see the final result.
Red=Power

I was also asked to "Build-it" and create a layout with red.  There is a sample layout from Nic, with so many embellishments (she had done a bonus tutorial on using embossing powder--which I don't have).  Here is the layout:

At first I was frustrated, because I am very literal.  I didn't have any red flowers, and I didn't have any embossing powder.  BUT, I realized that I did have some GlimmerMist (in a red tone).  I pulled it out, having not used it before, and I had to clean the nozzle because it wouldn't work.  I sprayed a bunch of stuff and let it dry over night (mainly because it was late).  In the morning I realized that the color was all wrong.  Back to the drawing board.

Well, I decided to stamp some of the shapes with black ink.  I like the effect.  It is shimmery and cool.  Then, I started all over with the design.  I went back to the original papers I had liked and just started working.  My DH had to come and check on me when he heard the sewing machine...I was sewing pleated paper--another first! 

I turned it into a two-page spread, and in the end I am pretty happy.  Inside the envelope is the cruise schedule from the day and a bit of memorabilia from the train ride.  Hopefully the rest of the class will be as fun, but maybe not so hard!

Here is my spread, which I am also sharing on the Apron Strings Designs Blog for the challenge to incorporate a new technique into your layout.  Boy did I ever!  Most of this page came from the Apron Strings Designs Smaller Than a Breadbox (May) Kit Lily Bee-Hello Sunshine.
Using Red on a layout

1 comment:

  1. First welcome to the addiction of BPS classes - LOL. They're super fun. Second, the layout is fantastic - way to incorporate so much new stuff into one place. I always find it very motivating to do that, but then I run into time issues, LOL. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete